Thursday 16 February 2012

My, My, This Here Anakin Guy

With The Phantom Menace currently out in cinemas again (this time in 3D, for better or worse, depending on how much you liked the film the first time around), I thought now was the right time to go over my thoughts on the film.

I don't think I need to go into great detail about the Star Wars franchise, it's a worldwide phenomenon and has been since the release of A New Hope in 1977. Even someone who hasn't seen the films knows the most basic details. The original films changed the way films were regarded and their influence can not be denied. And the reach extends out to other mediums, too. Tons of books, video games, comic books, action figures, assorted toys and just about everything else under the sun. And with a live action TV series under development, this juggernaut's not stopping any time soon.

Every now and then, creator George Lucas re-releases these films with alterations or new features, be it on the big screen, VHS, DVD or Blu-Ray over the years. These have been the subject of many debates, arguably the most famous being who really shot first, Han or Greedo (for the record, I'm all for the Han shooting first side, mostly because... well, how the Hell do you miss someone sitting right in front of you?! Greedo's a bounty hunter for cryin' out loud!) and now, he has seen fit to add 3D to the first episode in the series, with the potential for the rest of the series to be relaunched on the big screen in 3D.

But enough about that, let's move on to the movie itself, Episode 1 of the Star Wars series, The Phantom Menace.

The planet Naboo has been surrounded by battleships, dispatched by the Trade Federation. After attempts at diplomacy have failed, Queen Amidala (Natalie Portman), Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson) and Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) flee the planet and land on Tatooine, after their ship is attacked. They encounter a slave child named Anakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd), an aspiring pod-racer with Force potential greater than ever encountered.

I could go on with the plot synopsis but here's the thing: if you know anything about Star Wars, chances are you know this story anyway. And if you don't, there's too much to go into detail about and that's actually one of the film's biggest problems. The reason these events are set into motion is a retaliation to taxation on trade routes. I've seen the film several times and I'm still not 100% sure on all the details involved. Mainly because I, like most of the audience, do not care. This may seem weird considering my stance on films doing things differently, as I went over last blog, but this is a Star Wars movie. I do not care about political and economical aspects. I could barely follow it then and I don't much care now. Luckily, the sequels tone it down slightly (Episode 3 almost abolishes it altogether). We come to Star Wars for action in space, lightsaber dueling and interesting creature and locals, as well as a glorious soundtrack and some often memorable lines (mostly from the original series, especially anytime Darth Vader speaks. “I find your lack of faith disturbing”, anyone?) If I want discussions about space laws (not even sure how that would work anyway, I can understand the currency being universal but laws would be harder to enforce), I'll watch Star Trek going over and over the Prime Directive (and for the record, only Star Trek I know at this point is the 2009 film).

So, with that out of the way, I actually find the film to be a little mixed. I actually remember seeing this when it first came out in cinemas as a birthday treat, with my sister, brother-in-law and younger brother. At first, I was excited but by the end, I kept checking my watch. I put that down to being a little tired but the film wasn't easy to sit through. That doesn't mean it was entirely bad but I didn't have that problem with the next two films, which I also saw on the big screen.

To counter the bad above, here's something I did enjoy: the new characters Mace Windu (Samuel L. Jackson), Darth Maul (Ray Park but voiced by Peter Serafinowicz) and Qui-Gon Jinn. Mace doesn't get to do much, but that is rectified in the next films.
Darth Maul gets only a little more screen time but man is he the best thing about this movie. He's taken seriously, he's a ferocious fighter and he has a sense of mystery about him. His story is never revealed and he says very little, always dedicated to his mission and his master, Darth Sidious (Ian McDiarmid). His dedication to his master is unique, in the sense that in the teachings of the Sith, it is expected that the apprentice will kill the master and ascend to the position. Maul doesn't appear to have that desire, at least not from what the film shows us. The fact that Ray Park has experience in martial arts, swordfighting and gymnastics makes Maul all the more impressive, especially with the moves he pulls off. The fight between him and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon is one of the greatest in the entire series and is the highlight of the entire movie.
Qui-Gon is pretty badass too, preferring to play by his own rules, but he's still rational and logical and even a father figure to Anakin. I just don't think Liam Neeson is capable of a bad performance, regardless of the film he's in.

But on the other side... there's Jar-Jar Binks. Ugh, I hate this character. Half the time, you can't even understand what he's saying and the other half, he's finding new ways to screw up the missions. And that smile... Shudders. I think George realized he was missing a comedy duo, since he didn't write a big part for Anthony Daniels as C-3PO and R2 spends most of his time with the Queen and decided he'd go with one character for the comic relief. Well, he does relieve the comedy by sucking it out of the scene.
And besides side characters like Watto and Sebulba, Anakin is the only other character that I can't think of anything positive for. His “Yippie!” makes me want to throw rocks at him, he talks like he's cock of the walk and the entire space battle at the end just shattered my disbelief. I know he's supposed to be a hotshot pilot but that's just ridiculous, he looks like a kid who got into his father's car and started driving, not knowing exactly what he should be doing. He's a snotty little brat and when he's one of the main characters, that's a bad move.
Natalie Portman fares a lot better, being kind and sweet, and much more likable than Anakin. But the dialogue between them is cringe-worthy. “Are you an angel?” The kid sounds like he's trying a pick-up line!

The big draw of the film is supposed to be a big race with unique looking vehicles. While I admit I like the atmosphere, the vehicles and the two-headed announcer (seriously, I like him better than Anakin), the whole thing also kind of detracts from the film. It serves no real purpose except to show that Anakin is skilled with vehicles. Now, that may play an important part at the end but since I just said that I wasn't impressed by the space battle (or the Gungan effort, because it decided not to kill Jar-Jar), I wouldn't have missed it. Maybe it works in 3D, I don't know.

I'm sorry that is short and mostly based on character but since character and story are very important to me, that's usually what I look for. I could say a lot more but this is probably the most reviewed movie of the series, due to the mixed reaction it invokes. Suffice it to say, despite all the potential the film has, it has annoying, yapping things that won't shut up and go. For that, I give the film 3/5.

Will I see it in 3D? Nope. I saw it in the cinema the first time around, I don't need to see it again with a gimmick. The same applies for the next two as well. The original trilogy, however, I am open to, since I never got that chance to see them on the big screen and they are films that need to be seen on the big screen.

I will come back to the rest of the films some day and I will include The Clone Wars movie. Perhaps sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment