Tuesday 10 January 2012

The Original Defective Detective

With Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows currently out in cinemas all over the world, I thought I'd re-watch the first movie to get myself pumped for the second film (not that I need it, I was already excited for it after the end of the first. But I'm getting ahead of myself).

Now, you can already guess what direction this review is leaning towards, but I can still break down what I liked and the plot details and such. Speaking of, there may be spoilers (well, as much as I can spoil anyway. Having a sequel means some things are kind of already spoiled, but since I didn't have a blog back when this movie came out, I couldn't talk about it during its initial run in cinemas).

I don't think I need to go into an origin story for Sherlock Holmes, he's one of the most well known pop culture creations. And when it comes to media adaptations, I wouldn't be surprised if he has the most or at least makes the top five (I do remember reading somewhere it was Dracula who had the most film adaptations or just different media adaptations in general, I may be wrong though). He's had a few comics, appeared in all sorts of TV shows and even had one set in the future, Sherlock Holmes In The 22nd Century (I never saw it so I can't say whether it worked or not), and if you wanted a movie marathon with just anything Holmes related, you'd probably have to take a week off work just to get through them all.

I must confess, I haven't read any of the actual stories yet, or seen many of the adaptations/different versions. One I have seen and highly recommend is Without A Clue, which goes with the idea that Watson is really the detective but hires a drunken actor to be Sherlock Holmes and sells the stories. And I am not just recommending it because Michael Caine plays Sherlock Holmes (though that wording alone should be enough to entice you).
But what worries me is, from what I know of the public perception of Sherlock Holmes, Watson is assumed to be a fat bumbling sidekick (think Porky Pig but human and minus the stutter) and Holmes is some infallible, uncorruptable, altruistic detective who constantly carries a pipe and says “Elementary, my dear Watson” (which he never says, by the way. He does use those terms, but never together). What this movie attempts to do is challenge that perception. And challenge it does.

Let's get into the story: Lord Blackwood (Mark Strong) has been apprehended by Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey, Jr.) and Dr. Watson (Jude Law) for the murders of several women. Several months after his arrest, Blackwood demands to see Holmes and warns him three more people will die and the world will be affected by the deaths. After seemingly being hung, Blackwood's plans are carried out and it's up to Holmes and Watson to prevent his grim prophecy from coming true.

Suffice it to say, I really enjoyed this movie. Guy Ritchie stepped out of his pet genre of gangster-drama for the first (successful) time and took a popular character and gave him a fresh spin (well, fresh compared to the public perception). He created a lively atmosphere, with an almost steampunkish feel. The battle at the end is an excellent piece of work, with the Tower Bridge serving as a wonderful place for the denouement.
Guy chooses to go with Sherlock being anti-social, kind of arrogant, and obsessive with his work (though not so much that he won't take notice of women) and part of why this works is Robert Downey, Jr.'s acting. I made a comment once that it seemed like he was born to play the role of Tony Stark in Iron Man (and to this day, I still believe that to be partly true) but it's also entirely possible that this was the role he was made for. He cannot be flawed, he's that good. He portrays this Sherlock as being bored and looking for stimulation and when summarizing boring (to him) conclusions, his face conveys a look that says “Shoot me, that would be more fascinating an experience” which is what sells it. OK, the boredom thing isn't entirely new but the way RDJ does it, you could be convinced otherwise. When he's on the case, there's a twinkle in RDJ's eyes and you know awesomeness will soon follow.
Also of note, I do like the idea of Holmes as a combat strategist (the “fight club” scene, in which Holmes internally narrates the details he notices about the pugilist he's engaged in fisticuffs with) though I wonder if that was lifted from the books too. If it was, wouldn't surprise me, considering how the Holmes of the books was also fond of cocaine (you read that right. Those were strange times).

But where would Sherlock be without his snarky offsider, ready to add a human touch to the mechanical nature of Holmes' style of investigation? Now, I've never been much of a Jude Law fan, I always saw him as an English Leonardo DiCaprio: a pretty-boy who stares at the camera with a smug grin as if to say “I could say utter garbage like 'oodle banana fargle fingle-fangle' and you would not give a damn, you'd be undressing me with your eyes”. Like Leonardo, I have come to realize he DOES have talent, and for Law, it took Closer and the 2007 adaptation of Sleuth to prove it. But he's marvelous as Watson, looking dapper and proper, while also being a bad ass. He's more of a people person than Holmes, not just from his womanizing ways, but also in the fact that he's engaged to be married. There's an amusing scene in which Holmes meets Watson's bride-to-be, Mary (Kelly Reilly) and Holmes does his “detective work” on her and deduces some amazing truths based on small, inconsequential details, though getting her motivation wrong. Yeah, that shut you up, Holmes!
Portraying Watson as an equal is what sets him apart from the bumbling fool who seems to always be in awe of Holmes, regardless of the fact that being a doctor, he has abilities of his own!

Mary is not the only woman giving Holmes something to think about, though. Perennial thorn in Holmes' side (probably to him, anyway. Story-wise, she only appeared in one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original stories) Irene Adler (Rachel McAdams) turns up on orders from her employer to spur Holmes into action. I can see why RDJ wanted her in this film, she's really good. Conniving and charming, she and RDJ play off each other well and you can see the romantic subtext blossoming between them.

Mark Strong also turns in a solid performance as the antagonist, Lord Blackwood. He's always calm and collected and sure of himself, never hamming it up. He's like Holmes in a way, unfettered and methodical.
And he provides an interesting mystery, which is integral not just to a good Sherlock Holmes story but to, well, any mystery film. The film hints at a blending of the occult with science and making Blackwood look like a force from beyond the grave or at least in allegiance with the forces of darkness. And with the target being Parliament, its high stakes indeed.

But what of Holmes arch nemesis, one of the first and most well known arch nemesis, Professor Moriarty? Oh, like a good arch nemesis, he stays in the shadows, pulling the strings. But he will be seen, in Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows, which I intend on seeing sometime soon.
Until then, I have this rollicking action film to enjoy, a film I give 4/5 to.

P.S I have seen the new Sherlock series, the first season, and I really enjoyed it. Bring on the next set of episodes!

4 comments:

  1. I've been working through some of the Holmes stuff on my new Droid X2 phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got to see Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows the other day and the first thing I thought of when I left the cinema was man RDJ was made for that role! Then I remembered Iron Man and thought the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially Iron Man, since in the comics, Tony Stark was full blown alcoholic and actually did hit rock bottom.
      Also, for another RDJ role that seems tailor made just for him, Tropic Thunder. Hilarious stuff.

      Delete