Monday 26 December 2011

There's A Toy Lodged In My Brain

Christmas Day itself may have come and gone but doesn't mean Christmas time itself has gone for the year. Heck, when you live in an extended family, chances are you're not going to see everybody in the one day. That goes double if you have to work that day or night, plus the day or night before and after.

What does this have to do with anything? Just that I feel like sharing some of my favourite Christmas themed pieces of entertainment.
But what to blog about? There aren't any Christmas comics that I've read, or even know about (except for the ones reviewed on Atop The Fourth Wall, unless you want to count the Christmas-set issue of the limited series Batman: The Long Halloween but since it's part of a larger story, it would be better off in its own review). As for books, only one I can still recall the details of was Skipping Christmas by John Grisham, a delightful little book (literally, could even be a novella) about two people who decide to spend the money they have saved for Christmas with their daughter (who isn't coming home that year) on something for themselves and avoid Christmas altogether. That would be turned into a movie with a name that makes me want to throw myself off a cliff every time I say it. Actually, what I'll do is direct you to a link I co-authored with my best friend: http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/2011/12/5-worst-christmas-movies-of-all-time.html#comment-form
(Hopefully you read his other blogs too, he's the one who got me to start my own. Wait... that also means you have someone to blame for my tripe, too).
Well, there was also a “holiday novella” from the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, titled Visions Of Sugar Plums but I read that ages ago and can't remember it that well. I'm going to need to borrow that from the library again one day.
And I can't think of any Christmas related video games either, except maybe James Pond 2 (man, that's going WAY back). Or Elf Bowling, that was fun. I'm going to Hell for that remark, aren't I?
Movies and music, however, now we got something.

Favourite Christmas related movies, it's the usual fare, the kind of stuff you see on other people's lists (Die Hard, It's A Wonderful Life, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, The Nightmare Before Christmas). Actually, check out the other list my best friend and I co-authored: http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/2011/12/16-best-christmas-movies-of-all-time.html#comment-form

Music, however, that I feel the need to comment on. Rather that do a top 10 list, I'm going to keep it nice and short and present my top 5 Christmas songs. All of these are on my list not just for the reasons listed below, but for one unifying reason: I can listen to these all year around and not get sick of them or even be reminded of Christmas, they are just that awesome. Sometimes it seems like the Christmas references are just incidental.

5. Last Christmas- Wham!
Yeah, this isn't that big a shock. I mean, what list doesn't this appear on? Well, I have it on mine because it's catchy, vibrant and doesn't have to apply to Christmas itself, as its about a failed romance. Also, fun clip.

4. Xmas Song from the Futrama episode A Tale Of Two Santas
OK, this is kind of cheating but I can't get it out of my head sometimes and it's their best song. Not sure if that is the exact title but if you have seen the episode, you know exactly what I'm talking about and if you haven't, you probably had no intention of watching the series anyway. So maybe just YouTube it. Anyway, it's hilarious and the cast have impressing singing voices (with special mention to Katey Segal). Best lyric: “If I weren't stuck here frozen, I'd harpoon you in the eye”. Classic

3. Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)- The Darkness
Yeah, in case you can't tell, these songs are all fairly modern and this one is possibly the most recent. Epic rocking but still Christmasy (and the clip is great too) and Justin Hawkins is perhaps one of the best damn vocalists of the rock genre.

2. The Night Santa Went Crazy- Weird Al Yankovic
Yeah, this isn't one I'd recommend for the kids. And for a Weird Al song, it's actually really dark, talking about Santa snapping and the onslaught after that. Still, it's musically awesome, the lyrics hilarious and Weird Al's almost always enthusiastic when he sings and this is no exception. I'd post my favourite lyric but that would lead to a spoiler (a song with a spoiler, how weird is that?) So, I'll go with my second favourite: “Broke his back for some milk and cookies/seems to me like he was tired of getting gypped”.

1. All I Want For Christmas Is You- Mariah Carey
Yeah, yeah, a romantic song on this list. What can I say, I'm a hopeless romantic (tell no one). Why is it first? Because shut up. But if you really want a reason, because of the warm glow the song gives off and the heartwarming nature.

I could also talk about my favourite Christmas episodes from the many TV shows I watch, but the biggest would be anything from How I Met Your Mother, Futurama (as stated above) and two Simspons episodes in particular: Marge Be Not Proud (the one where Bart steals the Bonestorm video game) and Miracle On Evergreen Terrace (the one where Bart destroys the Christmas tree and presents and the town is convinced they were scammed). As a kid, I remember enjoying the Pac-Man Christmas special, though that was probably due to the fact that I liked the cartoon and the Atari 2600 games Pac-Man, Jr. and Mrs. Pac-Man. Never got to play the original on that console until I got older. It would have sucked back then as it does now, unlike the two that followed it. I don't know how the Christmas special would hold up today, though.

Well, another short one. Next time, I reflect on the year that was and the things to come.

1 comment:

  1. Five is such a low number, you missed out on some of my favorites... Mary Did You Know, Snoopy vs. the Baron (not the real title), Grandma got run over by a Reindeer, etc.

    ReplyDelete