Saturday 19 November 2011

If The Apocalypse Comes, Beep Me (Part 2)

And welcome back. If you've read my previous blog, you'll know that I'm a fan of the show Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and in fact, a huge Joss Whedon fan (though I haven't seen Dollhouse yet, because no one will announce when the DVD releases are heading my way...)
So, without further ado, the final five to make up my top ten favourite Buffy episodes. Maybe someday I'll do a top ten least favourite list or even a general overview. Probably not until next year, though.

5. The Replacement (Season 5, Episode 3)
I consider Xander Harris a role model of sorts, one amongst many. He's not the brightest (but very, very far from stupid), he lacks special powers and he usually gets the short end of the stick. But he has a heart and determination so powerful, you could weaponize it and devastate a small army. So, I am a big fan of any episode in which he is the focus and his positive aspects shine through. In this episode, he discovers that despite his shortcomings, he is capable of moving up in the workplace and getting an apartment all on his own gumption. He grows a lot too, and his comforting Anya when she worries about their future is really touching.
Also, the antagonist, the demon Toth, I really liked him. He had a certain dignity to him and his plan (split Buffy into two separate beings, one being weaker and then kill the weaker one to destroy both) is genius. Of course, it doesn't quite work that way but that's through no fault of his own.

4. Grave (Season 6, Episode 22)
The other season finale to make it here and oh man, this is an edge-of-your-seat kind of affair. While it still tries for an “the entire world is doomed” type of ending, it's a LOT more personal when you look at who's involved (no spoilers here, I will not ruin it for anyone yet to see it). I nearly cried with this episode, mostly due to Xander (seriously, when I was younger, I wanted to BE Xander Harris when I grew up) and there's a hilariously wonderful moment with Buffy and Giles just laughing and discussing things. The best of all the “heavily serious” episodes of Buffy.
3. Life Serial (Season 6, Episode 5)
This and the next two episodes are nearly gag-a-minute affairs and they work so well because of it. Whether it's Buffy being annoyed at college, losing her construction job after one day or wanting to scream out in agony in retail, the humor is never absent for long. And her encounter with a mummy hand... oh, that is the sweetest plum of all “Fingers sold separately”

2. Intervention (Season 5, Episode 18)
After the heavy atmosphere of the previous two episodes (the aforementioned The Body and Forever), some levity was needed and it came thick and fast with this episode. Another robot is seen and this time, resembling Buffy. Sarah Michelle looks like she's having the time of her life playing the constantly perky and smiling sex-bot, while delivering such lines like:
“You are recently gay”
“It's Spike! And he's wearing a coat!”
“Spike! You're covered in sexy wounds!”
And one of the greatest exchanges of dialogue ever in Buffy, with everyone's favourite capitalist supporter, Anya: “Anya! How is your money?” “Fine! Thank you for asking!”
Throw in one of Tara's best lines “What are you kidding? She's nuts!” and some great acting from James Marsters and you have a nearly unrivalled gem

1. Something Blue (Season 4, Episode 9)
While season four may be my least favourite season (oh wow, the military is up to something involving monsters, yawn), this episode downplays that aspect and just decides to go in for some hi-jinx. Willow's spellcasting causes odd things to happen, like Xander becoming a demon magnet and Buffy and Spike suddenly deciding to get married (they fall in love, eh? Hmm... have to wonder if that wasn't planned from the start, considering where things end up at the show's conclusion) and it's just a hoot.
And, interesting trivia, Buffy wants Wind Beneath My Wings played at her wedding.

Well, there you have it. I haven't read all of the season eight comics but what I have read has ranged from average to excellent, so it's definitely worth checking out (especially the second arc, No Future For You. I want a Giles and Faith spin-off live action series. NOW.)

So, any fellow Buffy fans care to name a few of their favourites?

3 comments:

  1. The Body, and Hush would have both made my list, but I'm not sure what I would have left off. So many great episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Hush would be in my top twenty too, as would Chosen, Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight and A New Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I smell another blog post coming on?

    ReplyDelete